Wexford County Council, Carricklawn, Wexford.
Start Your Own Business
Aimed at anyone with a food idea, or those at a very early stage of starting up a food business (typically in the first 24 months)
To provide participants with base knowledge of what is involved in setting up a food business. The content of the course is designed to provide the participants with information which will allow them to avoid the pit falls normally associated with this journey.
Day one will focus on providing participants with an overview of the dynamics of the food sector in Ireland and getting objectives for our project clear in your mind. The content will include:
1. Individual participant introduction
2. Feedback and discussions based on your product idea
3. Understanding the Irish food sector
4. Understanding what is artisan food production
5. Identifying what are the pit falls associated with starting your own food business
6. Minimum requirements, e.g. food safety, labelling, requirements, insurance etc.
7. How much money might a food start-up business cost
8. Understanding the critical role of packaging and branding
9. Researching your idea
This workshop will focus on the more practical aspects of setting up a food business. The content will include:
1. How to build your pricing model
2. Distribution options
3. Understanding the role of the various agencies, e.g. Bord Bia, LEO etc.
4. How to manage the brand design process
5. Deciding on your route to market
- Direct selling, e.g. online, farmers market etc.
- Retail channels
- Food service channels
- Succeeding with store managers and trade buyers
6. Attending consumer shows and trade fairs
7. Packaging review
8. Identifying new steps
Dates: Wednesday, 22nd February & 1st March, 2017
Includes - Lunch
Trainer: James Burke