Student Enterprise Programme at Secondary School Level
The Local Enterprise Office Student Enterprise Programme is a National initiative targeted at all levels in secondary schools from first year through to sixth year.
The objective of the programme is to enable teenagers to engage in a real life experience of setting up and running their own small business.
The Aims of the Student Enterprise Programme:
- To provide the students with a real insight into self-employment and what is involved in running your own business.
- To encourage students to set goals and targets for themselves.
- To encourage students to work in teams.
- To provide students with a sense of ownership and achievement.
- To give students an insight into the role of the Local Enterprise Office Wicklow and the role it plays in enterprise creation in Co. Wicklow.
The role of Local Enterprise Office Wicklow in the Student Enterprise Programme:
- Provide a dedicated member of staff who will work on the schools programme
- Run Workshops in the early stages of the programme to assist students in identifying possible products or services.
- Give talks and presentations on the role and the functions of the Local Enterprise Office Wicklow.
- Co-Ordinate in-school visits to every class participating in the TY Mini-Company programme.
- Arrange for the students to meet with existing local small business people providing students with an opportunity to discuss ideas, to get advice and to discuss their own ideas (subject to availability & upon request).
- Organise a visit to a local Enterprise Park to see existing small businesses in operation and talk to their owners (subject to availability & upon request).
- Provision of relevant materials.
- To be available for teachers and students throughout the programme to answer any queries that may arise.
- Organise and host the Wicklow County Final in March.
- Support the County Winners at the National Competition in April/May.