The Student Enterprise Awards
The Student Enterprise Awards is the biggest enterprise competition for students in Ireland. It helps students to grasp real life skills associated with running a real enterprise including working as part of a team, managing production and finances, organizing a sales and marketing campaign and liaising directly with customers, judges and the media.
Over the 10 years the Enterprise Boards have run this competition we have seen some remarkable success stories with high levels of innovation, ingenuity and clever sales pitches. What is really striking is how confident young people are in presenting their final proposals with many teachers remarking that students often develop self-confidence as they work their way through the different stages of their business. This is particularly true when students are taken out of their normal school environment to deal with external stakeholders who can help them progress their business idea.
The competition compliments the business studies curriculum and is a rewarding experience for transition year students in particular, who have that bit more freedom to develop their business concepts to the fullest.
As well as finding out what life is like as your own boss, you could also be in with a chance of winning some great prizes including:
- A European trip for a maximum of 5 team members worth over €10,000 euro.
- National Trophy and Cash Prizes.
- Local and National Media Profile, including TV and Radio appearances.
Introducing enterprise to students in such a relevant fashion can only help to create more entrepreneurs in the future. The Enterprise Board network provides significant support to teachers and students involved in the competition and we would encourage all schools to sign up and get their students involved.
Click on attached link for further information about the student enterprise awards... http://www.studententerprise.ie/
The Westmeath Schools Enterprise Programme is an enterprise education programme that aims to provide support to second level schools throughout the Westmeath region wishing to embrace entrepreneurial projects and stimulate business skills wishing their schools curriculum.
The Westmeath Schools Enterprise Programme is funded by the Local Enterprise Office Westmeath.
A range of interactive enterprise activities are organised during the schools year to encourage students from 1st – 6th year to learn more about entrepreneurship and what’s involved in setting up and running a business.
The Westmeath Programme runs from September to March. For the winning student Mini-Company, the programme runs until April (The National Final).The benefits of the Schools Enterprise Programme:
- The Programme enhances the learning of business and entrepreneurship by combing classroom learning with real life experience
- The Programme enhances creativity, improves communication skills and provides practical uses for business studies topics
- Participation in the Programme will encourage students to consider self-employment as a career choice in the future. It is at second level that students will start thinking about their future career, therefore, exposure to entrepreneurship can have the highest impact
- Westmeath Schools Co-ordinator is available at all times to answer any queries and provide support throughout the Programme
- For the students themselves, in addition to the obvious life-long benefits, they can potentially win some excellent prizes if successful
- Schools who participate in the Student Enterprise Awards benefit from excellent PR
- Excellent support tools are in place for teachers and students
The Westmeath Schools Enterprise Programme consists of:
- Mini – Company Programme – Student Enterprise Awards
- Ideas Generation Workshops Regional Final
- National Final – for successful winning mini-company from the Regional Final
- In-school enterprise talks from the Westmeath Schools Co-ordinator