The Business Expansion grant is designed to assist the business in its growth phase after the initial 18 month start-up period.
Business Expansion grants may be awarded to sole traders, partnerships or limited companies that fulfil the following criteria:
- Located and operating within the LEO geographic area
- A business, which, on growth, will have the capacity to progress to the Enterprise Ireland portfolio
- A business employing up to 10 employees
- A manufacturing or internationally traded service business
- A domestically traded service business with the potential to trade internationally.
The maximum Business Expansion Grant payable shall be 50% of the investment or €150,000 whichever is the lesser.
Expenditure may be considered under the following headings:
- Capital items
- Salary costs
- Consultancy/Innovation/Marketing costs
- General overhead costs
Grants over €80,000 and up to €150,000 shall be the exception and shall only apply in the case of projects that clearly demonstrate a potential to graduate to Enterprise Ireland and/or to export internationally. In all other cases, the maximum grant shall be 50% of the investment or €80,000 whichever is the lesser. Subject to the 50% limit, a maximum grant of €15,000 per full time job created shall apply in respect of any employment support granted.
All grants of a value greater than or equal to €40,000 or with a cumulative value of €80,000 over three years require Enterprise Ireland approval.
A business that had availed of a Priming Grant will be ineligible to apply for a Business Expansion grant until 12 months after approval/drawdown date of Priming Grant whichever is the later except in cases of exceptional merit and where less than the maximum Priming Grant was drawn down, and subject to the provisions in respect of 'De Minimus state aid'.