Vacant Property Grant Incentive Scheme
Wexford County Council is providing a Vacant Property Grant Incentive Scheme to encourage the use of vacant commercial and industrial property across the County. The grant is being offered as a contribution towards fit out costs. By encouraging the occupation of vacant properties the council is supporting the appearance and attraction of an area, thereby contributing indirectly to increased footfall for existing business. The main driver behind the scheme is sustainable job creation by developing new markets while supporting existing businesses.
The scheme is open to all of County Wexford. Applications in the following areas will be prioritised; however the Director of Services reserves the right to apply discretion on eligibility for the scheme.
- The main urban centres Bunclody, Enniscorthy, Gorey, New Ross and Wexford
- Property located in existing Business and Industrial parks
- Businesses operating in the Hospitality and Tourism sector (particularly projects that contribute to the regeneration of key tourism infrastructure in Rosslare, Hook Peninsula and Courtown areas).
- Art/Craft related studios or shops and Artisan food shops
Grant Relief and Payment
Grant relief is based on certified fit out and improvement costs, which are submitted in Year 1. Based on these costs grant relief is issued under the following three year programme.
Year 1: A maximum total of 75% of the annual rates liability for the first year.
Year 2: A maximum of 50% of the annual rates liability for the second year.
Year 3: A maximum of 25% of the annual rates liability for the third year.
Grant payment in Year 1 will commence one month following rates being paid in full and is conditional on full payment of the rates as demanded. Payments in Year 2 & 3 are also conditional on full payment of the rates as demanded.
Guidelines and Criteria
- The property must be vacant for 12 months on the day the application form is submitted.
- Displacement of a business from one property to another is discouraged, however if a proposed business be able to adequately demonstrate that they require larger premises that will have a positive economic impact, consideration will be given.
- There must be no rates, development levies, derelict site levies or any other Local Authority charges owing on the building for which the relief is sought or on any other commercial property occupied by the applicant, or indeed the applicant themselves.
This document is intended only as a basic overview. An application form with a full list of qualifying guidelines and criteria is available here.
Further enquiries may be made by contacting Barry Browne at the Economic Unit in Wexford County Council on 053 919 6547 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.